Being a successor to the Xiaomi Mi 9, its easy to say the Xiaomi Mi 9T would be a more powerful device, but that’s not the case here. Instead of featuring flagship specs like the Mi 9 did, the Mi 9T was developed for the sole purpose of being a goto smartphone for Xiaomi fans who desire a very affordable smartphone that almost surpasses the midrange mark.
Despite the fact that the Xiaomi Mi 9T is a less powerful mobile phone when compared to the Mi 9, it improves on some of the features of the Mi 9. The Xiaomi Mi 9T can be best described as a mid-range smartphone that defiles all odds.
Xiaomi Mi 9T Key Specs & Features
- 6.39 inch AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (403 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Octa-core Qualcomm SnapDragon 730 Processor (8 nm); Adreno 618
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage (No SD Card Slot)
- 48 MP + 8 MP + 13MP Triple Rear Camera and 20MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Colors – Carbon black, Red flame, Glacier blue
- 4000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Display and Design
As mentioned in the introductory paragraphs, the Xiaomi Mi 9T despite being a less powerful smartphone improves on some of the features of the Xiaomi Mi 9. This fact is very evident in its design and display.
The Xiaomi Mi 9T improves on the gradient design the Mi 9 had on the rear cover. The gradient design here is a bit more noticeable and more beautiful in my opinion.
This smartphone comes in Carbon black, Red flame, Glacier blue. Only the Red Flame and the Glacier blue have this gradient design. For the Glacier Blue, you have black in the middle and Glacier blue spilling into the edges. while on the Red flame in the middle and red spilling to the edges.
Unlike the Xiaomi Mi 9 which had its trio camera system arrange on the left side on the rear recovering, the Mi 9T has its array of three cameras arranged in the middle, with its primary camera set apart from the other two cameras.
On this rear covering, there is a camera flash, Redmi, and Xiaomi branding.
Flipping the Xiaomi over to get a front view, you discover a more refined display. The notch is gone. The Xiaomi Mi 9T adopts a new bezel system with a popup camera being a panacea to eliminating the notch.
Both the Xiaomi Mi 9 and Mi 9T feature a 6.39 inch AMOLED display, but the Mi 9T has more screen real estate, which is facilitated by the absence of a notch. The Xiaomi Mi 9T houses a 6.39 inch AMOLED display, with a screen density of 403 PPI and a screen resolution of 1080 x 2340.
The cameras on the Xiaomi Mi 9T have been tuned to be appealing to any smartphone camera enthusiast. Whether it is taking those quick group photos/selfies or taking those well planned creative shots, the Mi 9T has you covered.
The camera hardware and software packed in this device create an avenue for a lot of creative videos and photos, depending on how skilled you are.
The cameras on the Xiaomi Mi 9 and 9T are actually very similar specs-wise, with minute differences. The major difference here in camera hardware is the wider camera aperture. The Xiaomi Mi 9 has a wider camera aperture for both the front and rear cameras.
The Xiaomi Mi 9T features a 20MP pop selfie camera with an aperture of F2.2. Due to this pop-up selfie camera mechanism, there is no selfie camera flash.
Although Xiaomi could have replaced the colored LED lights guarding the popup camera, with White light, for a brighter selfie. To make provisions for selfies taken in the dark, the Xiaomi Mi 9T makes use of software camera flash.
On the rear, we have a trio camera system featuring a 48MP primary sensor with an aperture of F/2.5, an 8MP telephoto camera with 2x optical zoom, an aperture of F/2.4. The Xiaomi Mi 9T also features a 13MP Ultra-wide-angle camera with an aperture of F/2.4.
Hardware and Software
A smartphone may appear to be very appealing physically, but the internal hardware specs are a major determinant of your purchase decision.
Thankfully the Xiaomi Mi 9T crushes the specs game under this price point. Specs here may not be the most powerful, but you are assured of being able to perform most tasks as well as the game smoothly.
Internal Hardware specs on this device a fall between midrange and high end. Where a lot of mid-range smartphones feature the 600 series Snapdragon processor, the Xiaomi Mi 9T features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 processor.
It is an 8-nanometer octa-core processor. The Xiaomi Mi 9T also features an Andreno 618 Graphics processing unit.
Paired with the processor, is 6GB of RAM, 64GB or 128GB of internal storage, and a 4000MAH battery. The Xiaomi Mi 9T supports 18W charging and charges through a USB-C port.
Over the years the Xiaomi MIUI has held the title for one of the most customizable ROMS. The Xiaomi MIUI provides users with a ton of options for customization. My favorite is the ability to install ROMs that affect almost every part of the operating system. The Xiaomi Mi 9T runs the MIUI 10 interface on top of Android 9 Pie.
The Xiaomi Mi 9T features a 3.5mm headphone jack, and USB Type C port for data transfer and charging. The Xiaomi Mi 9T also features dual-band wifi Bluetooth 5.0 and fear field connection (NFC).
The Xiaomi Mi 9T has support for band 7,20,3,28 and lots more. This means that you can use MTN, 9Mobile, Glo and Airtel 4G Sim cards on this device. Please, note that his device doesn’t support 5G network.
Xiaomi Mi 9T Price and Availability
As at the time this article was written, the Xiaomi Mi 9T costs about 119,500 Naira, which is around 329 dollars.
The Xiaomi mi 9T is currently available for purchase and can be purchased in both offline and retail stores available in Nigeria and outside Nigeria.
Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 (8 nm) – Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Kryo 470 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 470 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno618
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colors: Carbon black, Red flame, Glacier blue
- Dimension: 156.7 x 74.3 x 8.8 mm (6.17 x 2.93 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 191 g (6.74 oz
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.39 inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 (403 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (f/1.75, 0.8-micron, wide) + 8MP (f/2.4, 1.12-micron, telephoto) + 13MP (f/2.4, 1.12-micron, ultrawide) Camera
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, 2x Optical Zoom, Dual-LED Flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: Motorized pop-up 20 MP Camera, f/2.2, 0.8µm, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C, USB on the Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor:No
- Gyroscope: No
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (under display)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 18W Fast Charging