Nokia has been proving for a while now that the smartphone game is not beyond them, and that is just the statement they are making with the Nokia 7.2. This is not a device too loud that it breaks tables in the market, but it not so subtle that we will let it pass by without noticing it either.
Now that it has caught our attention, and yours too, how about we devote some time to seeing how things work under the hood
Nokia 7.2 Key Specs and Features
- 6.3 inch IPS Display, 1080 x 2280 pixels (400 ppi), 19:9 aspect ratio, HDR10, Always on Display
- Octa-core Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14 nm)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, up to 512GB memory card
- 48MP + 8MP + 5MP Triple Rear Camera and 20MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic frame
- Colours – Cyan Green, Charcoal, Ice
- 3500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The front of the Nokia 7.2 is a paradox for us – because we love the way they have incorporated an almost bezel-less screen, but don’t enjoy the way they left the chin big so that they could include some branding.
Looking past that, though, the 6.3-inch screen is a beauty to behold, allowing us about 82% screen to body ratio on the overall. This is not one of those screens where you get a fingerprint scanner embedded under the screen, but we do appreciate the tiny notch at the top which also houses the selfie camera.
On the back of the Nokia 7.2, we also get glass treatment. Both front and back enjoy Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection technology from scratches and impact. This is three generations behind the current market standards, but it will hold its own just fine too.
If we look past that, the HDR 10 support on the front screen is something to look forward to.
Now that we are at the back, the phone’s triple camera sensor setup is a beauty to behold on the back. Just beneath that is a fingerprint sensor for added security too. Depending on your preferences, you can get this back panel in either colour of Cyan Green, Charcoal or Ice.
No matter which colour you go for, you still get the 3.5mm jack on the base of the Nokia 7.2. That comes with a USB Type C port, a speakerphone and microphone grille to match. Every other thing remains standard – including all of the power buttons and volume rocker keys on the side.
Like we said, the triple cameras on the back catch our attention for the size of their sensors. Starting with a main 48MP wide snapper, we also get an 8MP ultrawide lens followed by a 5MP depth sensor.
The first observation here is that there is no telephoto lens, so it remains to reason how this device will offer portrait mode pictures, if there is that functionality at all.
On the front of the Nokia 7.2, we have a single 20MP camera with support for HDR imaging. This should be extended into the videos you take on the front too, so some standard can be felt there.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Changing tones from the camera, all the operations of the Nokia 7.2 will be run on the Android 9 Pie platform. Being an Android One device, you get the stock Android – and you also get updates faster too.
Daily running of the unit will depend on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 chipset which is paired with an Adreno 512 GPU for graphics rendering. Nokia is not one to pass up the chance to offer configurations of their device, so we do have the option of a 4GB or 6GB RAM for interested buyers.
The kind of RAM you go for will also influence the storage space you get since both units come with 64GB and 128GB storage spaces respectively.
That should not be much of a dealbreaker though, since there is a microSD card slot which takes things to 512GB for you – should you choose to use it.
If there is one thing Nokia has a reputation for, it is their battery. That is why we believe the 3500mAh unit here will be amazing. For all its amazingness, though, it doesn’t come with fast charging technology out of the box (at just 10W).
Nokia 7.2 Price and Availability
Nokia 7.2 price in Nigeria is starts at around 99,000 Naira. You buy the smartphone from leading online stores in your country.
Nokia 7.2 was announced in September 2019. If you are looking to get the device too, you should be willing to spend anywhere from NGN99,000.
Till we have major retailers and outlets carrying the device, this is the best equivalent to an entry price of $277 which the device ships with.
Nokia 7.2 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Nokia 7.2:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); Android One
- Processor: Octa-core Processor: 2.2GHz quad-core Kyro 260 and 1.8GHz quad-core Kyro 260 (Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14 nm))
- GPU: Adreno 512
- Memory: 4GB RAM / 6GB RAM
- Colours: Cyan Green, Charcoal, Ice
- Dimension: 159.9 x 75.2 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 180 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM/ Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 6.3 inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 2280 pixels (400 ppi), 19:9 aspect ratio, HDR10, Always on Display
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (wide) + 8MP (ultra wide) + 5MP (depth) Triple Camera, 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps Video
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, Zeiss optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 20 MP Camera, Zeiss optics, HDR, 1080p@30fps Video
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, EDR, LE, aptX
- NFC: Yes (optional)
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 2.0, USB Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery; Battery charging 10W
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 10W Charging Capacity