The iPad Air 2019 revamp’s the iPad Air series, it houses high-end specs in a Tablet chassis that reminisces from 2017. It was designed for enthusiasts in need of an iPad that costs less than the high-end pro tablets, yet features capable hardware. In this article, we explore the iPad Air 2019 specs and price.
iPad Air (2019) Key Specs & Features
- 10.5-inch, IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 1668 x 2224 pixels (256 ppi)
- iOS 12.1.3, upgradable to iPadOS 13.1.2
- 3GB RAM
- Hexa-core Apple A12 Bionic
- 64GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 8MP Rear Camera and 7MP Front Camera
- Wi-Fi + 4G LTE or Wi-Fi only
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front Mounted)
- 8,134 mAh non-removable Li-Po Battery
The Design and Display
Gazing on the iPad Air 2019, you probably would wonder if it was manufactured in 2019 or 2017. This is facilitated by the fact that the Air 2019 features a design that reminisces from 2017. It bears a striking resemblance to the iPad Pro from 2017.
iPad Air devices are meant to be a cheaper variant of pro iPads. So I guess we can pardon the design of the iPad Air 2017 for this reason.
How similar are both tablets? Both tablets have the same build, similar bezels size and lots more.
There is metal on the rear and glass upfront. The rear is void of two many features. All you have here is a single rear camera, some text on the bottom and nothing more.
Upfront on the iPad Air 2019, we have a set up that may lead to a lot of frowned faces. It’s 2019 and there is still an iPad with big bezels. As already established in the paragraph above, this veteran setup was facilitated by the fact that its a cheaper iPad.
The iPad Air brings back a feature that has been absent in recent iPhones like the iPhone 11 and also the latest iPads. That feature is Apple’s signature Touch ID. The bottom bezel of the iPad Air 2019 is home to a Touch ID sensor.
The display is a 10.5-inch Retina display, with a screen resolution of 1668 x 2224 pixels. For the record, the iPad Air 2019 is the first iPad air to feature a retina display.
Still, on the topic of firsts, the iPad Air 2019 is also the first iPad Air to be compatible with Apple’s pressure-sensitive pencil. The drawback here is that it only has support for the first-gen Apple pencil.
The tablet features a smart connector, that lets you connect an external keyboard to it, via a set a connector points. This means you don’t have to rely entirely on Bluetooth for external keyboard connectivity.
iPads over the years haven’t been known to feature super exciting color options. The iPad Air 2019 follows suit. It comes in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold.
Apple is known to produce one of the smartphone cameras in the world today, with the iPhone 11 Pro been one of the best. But over the years, there has been an observed slack in the camera hardware featured on iPads. The Pro iPads aren’t an exception neither is the much cheaper iPad Air.
The camera hardware is pretty basic. There isn’t anything to be wowed about in my opinion. The tablet has a single camera setup on the rear and front.
On the rear of the iPad Air 2019 is home an 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.4. This camera is capable of taking photos in HDR and also 1080p videos with frame rates capped at 30fps.
For selfies, the tablet makes use of a 7MP shooter. This camera has an aperture of f/2.2. It is capable of taking photos on HDR and also 1080p videos at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
It features last year’s Apple A12 Bionic chip, which is a 7nm processor. The chip has a Hex-core processor, with processing speeds of 2.5 GHz and 1.6GHz.
The iPad Air has a 3GB RAm and storage variants of 64GB and 256GB. As customary with Apple’s handheld device, the iPad Air doesn’t have options for Micro-SD expansion.
There is a massive non-removable 8134 mAh non-removable battery. Which is relatively bigger than what we have on the iPad Pro 11 and a rival from another brand, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
On the software side, the iPad Air 2019 runs iOS 12.1.3. It also has support for iPad OS, which gives it a desktop interface.
The iPad Air features a 3.5mm headphone jack, Lightning port for charging, Bluetooth 5.0 and dual-band Wi-Fi.
Internet connectivity on the iPad Air 2019 is capped at 4G LTE, as there is no support for 5G. It supports 4G internet from all the major telecommunication networks in Nigeria including MTN, GLO, Airtel and 9Mobile.
iPad Air 2019 Price and Availability
The iPad Air 2019 price starts around 499 American dollars for the base variant, which is about 180,887 Naira. The maxed-out 256GB price is around 649 American dollars, which is about 235,262 thousand Naira.
iPad Air 2019 Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPad Air 2019:
- Platform: iOS 12.1.3, upgradable to iPadOS 13.1.2
- Processor: Hexa-Core 2×2.5 GHz Vortex + 4×1.6 GHz Tempes (Apple A12 Bionic)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 3GB RAM
- Colors: Space Gray, Silver, Gold
- Dimension: 250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1 mm
- Weight: 456 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 10.5-inch IPS LCD Display, 1668 x 2224 pixels,
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 8MP Camera, f2.4
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, Autofocus, HDR, Panorama, 1080p @ 30fps
- Front Camera: 7MP Camera, f/2.2, 1080p @ 30fps
- Built-in Storage: 64GB or 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900 MHz (optional)
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 11(1500), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 21(1500), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46(5200), 66(1700/2100), 71(600) – A2153
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes (optional)
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: –
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Lightning Port
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Touch ID)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Siri
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 8,134 mAh Li-Po Battery (Non-Removeable)
- Average Use Time: Up to 10 hours
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –