The Chinese top tech company has finally launched the Huawei P40 smartphone. This is the successor of the Huawei P30 device that was announced last year.
Well, the P40 was announced with the Huawei P40 Pro and the P40 Pro Plus, however, in this article, we will be covering on the standard version which is the Huawei P40.
Huawei P40 Key Specs & Features
- 6.1 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~422 ppi)
- Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS)
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+)
- 6/8GB RAM
- 128/256GB Built-in Storage up to 256GB Memory Card
- 50 MP + 8 MP + 16 MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 32 MP Front Camera
- IP53 Dust and Splash Protection
- 4G LTE Network
- 5G Network
- Fingerprint (under display, optical)
- Infrared Face Recognition
- Fast Charging 22.5W
- Non-removable Li-Po 3800 mAh Battery
Design and Display
In terms of body design and looks, the Huawei P40 has the same design as the P40 pro. They are siblings so it’s expected. On the body, you will get a premium soft matte finish at the back in five color options namely Silver Frost, Ice White, Blush Gold, Black, and Deep Sea Blue.
It offers just three camera sensors at the back, however, the rectangular camera housing remains the same size as the one you will find on Pro and Pro Plus. It measures 148.9 x 71.1 x 8.5 mm in dimensions housing a small battery and display.
This makes it’s a compact flagship device and it weight just 175 gram while the bigger model weight 209 gram. On the Waterproof, the maker equipped the phone with an IP53 rating which is both dust and splash resistant.
On the front, the Huawei P40 flaunts a curved display that brings flat 6.1 inches FHD+ with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio and 422 PPI density for accurate color reproduction. It has an OLED display panel and it reaches 86.3% screen-to-body ratio.
In the camera department, users will be greeted with a pretty triple camera configuration. The camera consist of a 50MP f/1.9 UltraVision camera along with a 16MP UltraWide Angle shooter and lastly is the 8MP f/2.4 telephoto shooter.
The 8 MP shooter also has a lens supports 3x optical zoom, 5x hybrid zoom, and 30x digital zoom. Other features include OIS and AIS for image stabilization and can record 4K 60fps videos. Upfront is a selfies camera of 32 MP with an IR depth sensor for bokeh.
Hardware and Software
On the specifications, the Huawei P40 packs Kirin 990 5G processor with support for SA/NSA 5G standards. The Octa-core processor is clocking at a speed of 2.86 GHz and it has Mali-G76 MP16 for graphics.
The phone is powered by Android 10 OS with HMS services and EMUI 10.1 user interface. It has generous inbuilt storage of 256GB with 8GB RAM and you can expand the storage using Nano card.
Battery and Network
The battery on the device is 3800mAh Non Removable with 22.5W SuperCharge charging technology. It does not support wireless charging.
It comes with dual SIMs and a single model. The single model accepts an additional eSIM. Apart from the 4G and 5G networks, the handset also features NaIC in addition to GPS, AGPS, Glonass, and BeiDou. You will also get Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1.
Huawei P40 Price and Availability
The Huawei P40 will sell at a price of $880 and it will be available starting on April 7.
In Nigeria, it will sell at a price of 322,000 Naira, while in Ghana, it will cost 5,000 Ghs and 93,000 Ksh in Kenya.
Huawei P40 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei P40:
- Platform: Android 10.0 (AOSP + HMS); EMUI 10.1
- Processor: HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7 nm+), Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Memory: 6GB, 8GB RAM
- Colours: Silver Frost, Blush Gold, Deep Sea Blue, Ice White, Black
- Dimension: 148.9 x 71.1 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 175 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM/eSIM or Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Single SIM (Nano-SIM/eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: 6.1 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~422 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide) + 8 MP (telephoto) + 16 MP (ultrawide) Triple Cameras, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720p@960fps; gyro-EIS
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 32 MP, IR TOF 3D, (biometrics sensor only)
- Built-in Storage: 128, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes,
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: Yes, 5G band 1(2100), 3(1800), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, 5.1, A2DP, LE Bluetooth
- NFC: Yes
- Infradeeppink Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Non-Removable Li-Po 3800 mAh battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes